Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Emotional - what a day.

Today was a perfect example of how emotional I get sometimes. I will say that I had good reason. Dave and I's move to Florida is coming up quickly, right now the official date is August 26th. For the first time today I typed that it's only about 6 weeks away and writing it brought out all the fear feelings again and the sadness over leaving.

I've worked in my position at my office for five years now and I'm very happy to say that the company is letting me telecommute from Florida so that I don't have to leave the company. In my time at the company I've moved up the chain through 3 positions and met so many wonderful people. Several of which I've known for the full 5 years and have a strong attachment to. One of those people, I totally sweet gal I know, came over and left a silly note for me on my desk this morning. I laughed and went over to get her but on the way the sadness of it hit me; that there'll be no more silly notes on my desk, that I can't walk over to her and joke around, that we can't go outside for the occasional sneaky-smoke, that I can't go to the bar after work with her for a drink .......annnnnnnd the tears came on big time. Not a very easy thing to hide, deal with, or be comfortable with in an office with more than 3000 people when you're in a leadership position! My friend and I disappeared outside for a bit for hugs, sneaky-smoke, and a talk and afterwards I hid in my cubby-hole of a desk until I got my emotions back under control. Tomorrow I have a 1 on 1 with my boss and I'm going to make it fairly clear that I don't want a goodbye / see-ya-later party at work. I know for a fact that I'll do nothing but cry through the whole thing. I'm a total sap and when it comes to facing the fact that I'm leaving several friends and people I'm close to, I just know I won't hold it together well.

On a happy note, my friend Barbara that I spoke about in a previous post is coming into Boston tomorrow for a visit! Hooray!!! I can't wait to see her. She's going to meet me at my office, we'll head to my place to change, and then it's into Boston for dinner and a couple of drinks. No big alcohol for me, maybe 1 Bloody Mary, for now that stuff is a big no no to stay away from mostly. Besides, we have to get up and work together in my office the next day. :) I don't think I mentioned in yesterday's post that Barbara and I met when I started training her as a member of my work team in the Windsor, CT office.

It's late and I'm off to bed.

No comments: